- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup red peppers, chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 package Bean’s Andouille Sausage, sliced
- 1 ½ lbs boneless chicken, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups white rice, medium grain
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup green onions, sliced
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring often, until well browned. Add the Andouille Sausage and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often.
Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon cayenne. Add the chicken and bay leaves to the pot. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the rice and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the water, stir to combine and cover. Cook over medium heat for 30 to 35 minutes without stirring, until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the bay leaves, stir in the green onions and serve. Serves 6.